Does clutter or dirt around your home nag at you mentally, adding item after item to your to-do list? Have you ever noticed how much more relaxed you feel when you come home to a clean home?
You’ll be surprised how much better you’ll feel at home if you begin to tidy up in small ways.
Growing up as a kid my parents always insisted on having a clean home and it is something that has carried through the generations. Today I see the benefits but when I was young, I didn’t realize how much more there was to it.
Although there are those who believe that having a neat home isn’t one of the more important aspects of life, the reality is that your mood and spirits can be lifted by having a certain amount of order in the house. And cleanliness matters, too.
If you’d like to see your mood improve and lift your spirits, there are simple ways to do it without ever leaving your house!
To lift your spirits and feel like your home is your sanctuary, consider these ideas:
- How you feel is affected by the mood and tone of your home. It isn’t as important the types of furnishings than the level of cleanliness and a certain amount of order and organization of everything around you.
- Start by making small changes in your home that make you happy.
- You may not have even given it much thought, but it has been proven that if you’ve had a hard day at work and return to a home that’s disorganized and needs a good cleaning, your spirits will lag. But if you return to a home that’s organized and clean, you’ll lift your spirits simply by walking in the door.
- Your home may reflect your mood. Not only does the state of your home influence your mood, but the inverse is also true, according to some mental health experts. Studies indicate that how you handle your possessions in your home reflects what you believe about yourself and how you feel.
- Consider this: if you’re calm and relaxed by nature, the arrangement, organization, and cleanliness of your home most likely presents serenity and peacefulness. Everything has its place and is in order.
- If you’re emotionally spent or plagued with anxiety, depression or overwhelm, your home may be too cluttered, disorganized or in need of a good cleaning.
- If you’re feeling out of sorts and find yourself with a home that’s not neat and clean, remember that when the home’s challenges are addressed, your emotional state may improve.
- To have a neater home, sort and store your possessions in an organized fashion. An organized home just means that you can find things when and where you need them. You don’t need to go overboard to do this. Start with the simple things like putting your keys near the door, hanging up your coat, putting away your shoes, your cooking utensils by the stove, and the kids’ toys near where they play.
- Avoid getting overwhelmed by the task of organizing. Make a decision to organize just one room at a time. Make it a game if you like. Then celebrate when you get it done.
- You can even concentrate on one area of a room, like the desk or a corner that you find particularly troublesome. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. Something is better than nothing.
- You’ll be surprised how much better you’ll feel at home if you begin to tidy up in small ways. You many even get ambitious and want to do even more.
- It’s okay to ask for help. Perhaps your home is too big or too disorganized for you to feel comfortable tackling it on your own. Or maybe you’re just too busy.
- Spouses and kids are a great place to start asking for help. After all, they live there, too! And they certainly contribute to dirt and clutter. Give them specific tasks, and watch your house get clean before your eyes! Make it fun! Put on some music and make it a game if you can.
- If you have the financial resources, treating yourself to a professional cleaning once or twice a year can be a wonderful gift to yourself. And the results can last for weeks or even months!
Your home should be your castle and any time you walk in should make you feel like royalty because you are. Make it feel that way by doing everything you can to keep your home organized, neat, and clean. You’ll feel glad you did each time you walk in the door.
If you are still feeling overwhelmed or have other situations causing you anxiety, we can help you. Just reach out to us here now.